Monday, February 6, 2012

Big Ol' Love

This week is special in the land of Listicles.  I had the honor of choosing this week's topic, and it couldn't have come at a better time. Having lost my friend Marilyn unexpectedly, I was overcome with emotion. In between the sadness and grief, I was in awe. My friend lived a very full life filled with passion for life! She in turn inspired my choice of list.

Where does your heart lie, I ask?

Immediately I thought of my heart in terms of a pie graph.
Remember, I was a first grade teacher!



1. Bryan, Moira, & Maeve = 30%
My heart is truly filled with my greatest loves, my husband & children. They make me, me!

2. My Extended Family = 20%
I've got a huge extended family, filled with aunts, uncles, cousins, great aunts & uncles, second, third, and even fourth cousins, aunts once removed, and everything in between. My family is crazy some literally I do believe, but I couldn't imagine anything different. The chaos at holidays, the full church at weddings, and the extended family tree.

3. Friends = 20%
My mother in law says it all at the time.
"I don't have a lot of friends, but I do have a lot of acquantices".
That's me.
I know a lot of people, but my circle of friends is very small. I will admit, when I was younger it bothered me. I wanted a large group and thought something was missing. I learned, however, over time and through life experience, that those people I consider my friends may be a small list, but they truly are like my family.

4. Our House = 10%
I love our house.
The place we searched high and low to find. It may be old, with a never ending to-do list, but it's the place we are meant to be.

5. The Beach = 5%
In her introduction of me last week, Stasha mentioned my love of the Shore, and there is nothing like that smell of the sea. The sand between your toes, as the salty air hits your face.

6. Laughter = 5%









Kind of sums up #5 & #6. 


Source: facebook.com via Mina on Pinterest


7. The Phillies = 5%
I have been raised on a diet of red and white. In our house, the days until pitchers & catchers report is like the countdown to Christmas. (For the record, it's 12 days today!) If you mention names, like Mike, Jimmy, Ryan,  Chase, & Shane to Mo, her usual response will be "Schmidt, Rollins, Howard, Utley, & Victorino".
It's just how we roll, it's part of her education

8. The Union = 3%
Up until last week, this percentage would have been a whole helluva lot higher, and then they had to trade one of our favorite players and the catalyst for the team, Le Toux. Soccer was something I loved playing as a kid, but a sexist coach squashed my dreams of playing growing up. Now, through Bry's love, I too have developed a love for the game and in turn have passed it on to our girls.
I actually take the term "Soccer Mom" as a compliment.

9. Dining Out = 1%
My biggest indulgence isn't shoes or purses. I get anxiety at the thought of buying a piece of clothing or jewelry that isn't on sale. However, take me out to dinner, and I'm in heaven, and apparently I have no qualms of spending money like a Kardashian on Rodeo Drive. 

10. Swimming = 1%
Often I think one dreams of the things they love. Most of my good, happy dreams seem to take place in or around water. Perhaps there's some chlorine level in my blood, as there is no place quite a peaceful or relaxing as a good swim, Even when it's the first time back in over four years!


Looking for inspiration, join in!

21 comments:

  1. A pie graph! What a great idea, Jackie. This was a touching topic in memory of your friend. Thank you for sharing this with us.
    (And seriously, love the pie graph!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i completely agree with absolutely everythign- word for word- that Lenore Diane said.

    (oh and i totally hear you on that eating out thing, too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to illustrate your passions, Jackie!

    I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounded incredibly inspiring. Thank you for coming up with this week's topic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love me some pie, even if it is a chart :)
    You know, I could have guest most of the passions of yours and that makes me so beyond happy. Make me have this warm feeling like I know you for real, that our friendship, even if it is an online one, is important.
    Thank you Jackie, really love having your Listicles this week.
    Cheers (with cider off course)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pie chart! What a fabulous idea. And I have to appreciate anyone who has laughter on their list of passions.

    I am so sorry for your loss. I lost a close friend this last summer and still have moments of grief from time to time. I think this week's topic is a wonderful way to honor her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list! I, too, have a huge extended family full of lots of crazy. Though we tend to be spread out across the country a bit. Nothing quite like it! And I also have a small group of true "friends" but I would do anything for them and them for me. That is irreplaceable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Passion on a pie graph---too awesome. Such a wonderful writing prompt that honors your friend Mar. She was lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pie chart is so cute for your list. I love the beach and eating out. I would combine the two for the rest of my life if I could. Eating out while sitting on the beach....heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha wow! I love that you put it in a pie chart, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pie chart! Like Stasha, I like any kind of pie. And I have to tell you that the name of your blog makes me giggle everytime I see it. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.

    Thanks for visiting me. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Your pie chart rocks! I love it :)
    I also love your list and how you divided it into percentages...you're a very logical person, I think I need some lessons in the logic department.
    xo
    P.S. I did have a beer (or 2) yesterday while I was writing listicles...in honor of your friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no, a Philthy Phil...I'm a Braves fan since birth! I love that you mentioned your home...that is hubby's and mine dream, to find an old home and fix it up...jealous!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. fantastic and brilliant idea with the pie graph! And so sorry to hear about your friend...I hope we all honoured her memory with our passionate posts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A list and pie. Completely with you on 2, and one named Maeve as well. Thanks for a great topic. No greater tribute than a zest for life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that you did a pie chart! Great topic choice this week - such a beautiful way to pay tribute to your friend.

    Laughter made my list too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you did a pie chart! Its great! And you picked a wonderful topic for this week :)
    I totally love eating out too! No dishes to clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dining out is one of my favorite things. Only I like shoes and purses too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahaha, I love the graph. Who doesn't love a visual aid?

    I enjoyed reading this and COMPLETELY relate on the importance of a positive dining experience. My husband doesn't get this at all. If we go out to eat, I want it all. Apps, salad, entree, dessert, wine, salty cocktail, sweet dessert drink. Makes him wanna kick me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thoroughly enjoyed your list. Especially number 6. Love that feeling. The pie chart is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jackie, this was a great topic. Thanks for choosing it! Your friend Marilyn sounds like a wonderful person.
    I also love eating out! I swam in high school and loved it. I would love to get back into it some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. How come I didn't know your kids have such beautiful names?
    I have learned re friends over the years that it's physically and maybe even emotionally impossible to keep too many friendships going. You are lucky if you can count the real lifelong friends you have on one hand - it sounds line you have some good ones. (-:

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think.