Saturday, August 13, 2011

Another year older....wiser?

The Talking Heads have a song called Once in a Lifetime and these lyrics have been spinning around my head the past few day.
It has just hit me.
I am officially in my thirties.
I am a thirty something suburban housewife
And mother!
WTF?

And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself-well...how did I get here?


Seriously, how did I get here?
I wonder when I became this grown-up who asks for gift certificates to Target and Lowes for her birthday?  Where are the nights out?
Where are the dinners?
The drinks?
The vacations?
When did I become a grown-up?

And you may ask yourself
This is not my beautiful house!
And you may tell yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile?


"Life goes by quickly" my mother would lament.
I never really understood this until recently, as my mind holds tight to many memories.
The first day of high school, those jitters in my stomach still seem so fresh.
The khaki halter dress sticking to my sunburned back under my white graduation robe that date in June.
Piling into my parents minivan, heading to college. I remember walking into my first dorm room, staring at the photos of my soon to be roommate.
Meeting Bry for the first (technically second) time in the lobby of those dorms.
Parties, formals, trips to the bar.
Swim meets, Student teaching assignments, walks through the campus,
Bathing suits, warm ups, and acceptable teaching attire.
The black gown and piece of paper.
It seems like yesterday.
So vivid.
So clear.
So real.
But it was not.
It was 19 years since those first butterfiles the night before freshmen year of  high school.
15 years since that first ride through the campus gate.

When did I get old?
I don't feel that old.
I don't feel like I've changed that much since my time in college, (grant it my body looks a whole helluva lot different)

Can someone tell me when I became a grown-up?

And you may ask yourself
What is that beautiful house?
And you may ask yourself
Where does that highway go?
And you may ask yourself
Am I right? ...am I wrong?
And you may tell yourself
My god!...what have I done?


This post was intially written on September 3, 2009, exactly one day after I turned thirty-one. When I read this weeks "Dare to Share" link, immediately my mind came back here. I have updated and reworked some sections.
It’s that time again! Another Dare to Share Linkup! This week’s theme is music. We’d like you to share a post, new or old, that focuses on music in some way. You can post a poem, fiction, memory, or essay. Dare to Share is anything goes link up…as long as you stick to theme.


4 comments:

  1. I love this...the lyrics really did fit your post perfectly. And I too wonder, "where did the time go?".
    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great usage of the prompt this week! Good song, too. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When did I get old?
    I don't feel that old."

    I ask myself this each and every day! Maybe, in some way, that's a good thing, not feeling one's age?

    Excellent response to this prompt...loved every word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've asked myself these questions, too! It's like you blink and then suddenly you're grown up, an Adult with a capital A. I adored the "Life goes by quickly" paragraph. The flashes of your life are perfect...bittersweet.

    Beautifully done! I always enjoy your writing SO much.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think.