Thursday, June 4, 2009

In Remembrance

My good friend and co-worker Kathie lost her battle with breast cancer Tuesday afternoon. Throughout my tenure as a teacher, Kathie had been working with me in some respect. She was an assistant in the class I did my student teaching, and then when I was hired as a middle school teacher from December to June, I had the pleasure of teaching her daughter, Meghan, Social Studies. When I moved to special education Kindergarten and then typical Kindergarten with mainstreamed students, Kathie again was with me. Finally, as I made the jump to first grade, Kathie worked as my classroom assistant with a number of classified students.
Besides having a phenomenal gift with children, Kathie was kind and friendly to all. She had a terrific sense of humor and helped me find humor in situations that left me at my wits end.
She was a great mentor to me. As the mother of four daughters, I had the pleasure of seeing her interact with them on numerous occasions. She was firm, yet friendly. She gave them roots and wings. Her daughters are genuinely good people and I attribute this to Kathie. I hope that I can be as strong for my daughter as I have seen Kathie for her girls.
As I mentioned before, Kathie was a great friend. Without her, Bryan and I may have never been able to marry. She, along with her husband, came to city hall to be witnesses on our marriage license. I guess I will always carry a piece of her when I think back to our wedding day.
I am saddened to write these lines, but I am grateful for the time I had with her. Her life was cut much to short. I keep her husband, daughters, granddaughter and other family and friends in my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless you Kathie.
Love, Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think.