Thursday, July 17, 2008

2 years ago today...

I was admitted to the hospital with a Pulmonary Embolism. That was the scariest time in my entire life. Those moments in the Emergency Room when the doctors said so non-chalantly, "Yeah, we're going to have to admit you!". I learned a lot though about myself during that stay.

1. If you are ever on the pulmonary floor, you most likely will have a roommate over the age of 65. I found that out the hard way, when my 68 year old roomie came in for some sort of valve replacement.

2. Getting your blood taken once is NOT that big of a deal. Now, getting it taken every four hours...for six days SUCKS! Especially when your veins give out and you look like a bruised mess.

3. I never realized how much I truly enjoy showering, especially washing my hair until I could not do it. Again, for five days I did not get a chance to wash it. Thank God for bandanas.

4. Robert Wood Johnson's Hospital food isn't actually too bad...for hospital food.

5. Bryan is a fantastic husband, and went without sleep and decent food, to ensure that I was okay. I'd like to say that he cuddled in the hospital bed with me, but seriously? You know both of our sizes...would that really work?

6. I was never so happy to be close to my family, and more importantly, never so happy to have a sister who was in medical school. She helped to clarify things for me and generally, next to Bry was a calming force.

7. Being in the hospital with a P.E. made my time recovering from a c-section seem like a cake walk. Again, blood clot...lungs...difficulty breathing...possibly death versus cut and out comes baby. No contest here. That my friends is why I plan to have more children and pray never to have a P.E. again.

Finally and most seriously, 8. LISTEN TO YOURSELF! I knew something was wrong and went back and forth with whether I should go to the doctor or not. I shudder to think of what could have happened had I waited.

Enjoy life!


Oh, yeah, and congrats to Aly & Rob! Only one year until their wedding. They'll make July 17th a better anniversary than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think.