This topic rings especially poignant as it is the fortieth anniversary of Title IX later this year. Not only did Title IX give me, a female athlete a chance to play, but it also made huge strides in gender equity in athletics, schooling, and the workforce. My girls will never know a world where they couldn't play. Here's a great list of the impact of Title IX.
In that regard, my list is dedicated to women in sports.
10 Reasons Why Girls Need to Play
1. To learn the dynamics of being part of a team.
2. To find perseverance when things are tough.
3. To establish a routine
4. To dedicate time and energy through practice.
5. To develop positive self esteem and body image.
6. To realize one's strength.
7. To challenge gender roles and stereotypes
8. To inspire future leaders.
9. To learn to lose gracefully.
10. To relishing that sweet taste of victory.
Interested in more information about girls in athletics?
Check out these sites: