Friday, January 27, 2012

Mar

She was:
sweats,
never pink, 
youth XL, 
blue winter cap, 
black sneakers. 

She was:
haircuts at the barber,
a beer at the bar, 
an egg salad sandwich from the Butcher Block,
taco lunch in the cafeteria with her own shells. 

She was:
handball games on the playground, 
"Shutty Uppie",
dancing in gym class,
loving her "turkeys", 
taking up the end of the line, 
being mistaken for one of the kids.  

She was 
on a plane, 
in a boat, 
in her bug, 
around the world, 
under water,
behind the lens. 

She was 
a devoted wife, 
a proud mother, 
a doting grandmother,
a fine travel companion, 
a kick ass class room & lunch room aide, 
and  
one helluva friend. 

She was 
spunk,
fierce,
hysterical, 
loving,
and 
giving. 

She was one of a kind. 

God bless you Mar as you dive into the that great big ocean in the sky. You'll be missed.  
I think there's no limit at the bar up there, though I do think they do expect you to be on your best behavior which might be hard because we know how much you love a good party!


Linking up with Yeah Write this week.
Feel free to partake in a libation in her honor as you make your vote Thursday.
If anyone asks, tell them it's a drink for a friend.
I know she'd get a kick out of that!

20 comments:

  1. well said Jackie. She's already missed dearly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, I absolutely love your tribute to Marilyn! You described her perfectly. I still can't believe she is gone. She's up in heaven sharing a beer with Kathie right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss, what a way to celebrate her! Love your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am so sorry for your loss. Your poem is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful tribute to your friend!! She sounds like an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome tribute to a woman I think I would have liked to have known.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool tribute to what sounds like a very cool person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jackie, you created a wonderful poem and a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry for your loss. She sounds like an awesome person to know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful tribute to an obviously wonderful person. I'm sure she's looking down at you and smiling. With a beer in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww! This is so nice. I really admire those who can write this way. I find it very challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a beautiful tribute to a person that was close to your heart. I'm sorry for your loss but feel that she would have liked the poem you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful tribute to your friend. I'm so sorry for your loss.ser

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect tribute. I feel like I knew her just from your words. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What. A. Tribute.
    What. A. Good. Friend. You. Are.
    Everybody should have a poetic friend like you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This poem is absolutely lovely. Thanks for sharing it. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful tribute to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. That was wonderful tribute. I saw her through your words. I am so sorry for her passing.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think.