Saturday, September 12, 2009

Good News, Good News, Bad News

Good News:
I hit the 20 wk mark on Thursday. I am exactly half-way through pregnancy number 2. Moms of two or more, have told me that the second pregnancy (and other subsequent ones) go much faster then the first, and really, they've seemed to be right. So far, things have been good. I've had similar symptoms with this round as I did with Moira. Basically, lots of indigestion and a heavy addiction to Tums. Beyond that, it's been grand, yes I said grand. My belly is getting a little bigger and I'm having a bit more trouble getting up from the couch, but beyond that, I'm feeling great!

Good News:
My brother and is fiance hit the one year mark until their wedding. The official clock has started, as September 10, 2010 will be here soon. Hopefully my pre-pregnancy body will be making it to that party. Nothing a little spanx and a good pair of heels can't cover!

Bad News
My dad has prostate cancer.
My dad has cancer and it sucks! Just last year we dealt with the unexpected death of my uncle from lung cancer, and then earlier this year my good friend Kathie lost her battle with breast cancer and now my dad.
I am a daddy's girl. I have always been. My mom loves to tell the story about how when I was little, like 2 or 3, I used nap late so that I could be up when my dad got home from working the 3-11 shift. I would sit on the couch with him drinking orange juice as he would drink his screwdrivers. I talk to my mom every day, I think there's something special between a mother and a daughter, especially when you have a child, but my dad has a very special place in my heart.
He went into the doctor's office anticipating this diagnosis. Both his father and older brother had it, so he just assumed he did too. Lucky for us, the numbers are low, the biopsies only show 3 spots out of 12, and the doctor gives him good odds that with only surgery to remove the organ, he will be fine. He goes next week for a body scan to ensure that it hasn't spread.
I'm not letting myself think anything else.
He will be fine.
I know it.
So if you're reading this send out a special prayer to my dad tonight.
Oh, and if you don't pray, just offer out any healing vibes you can to him.

Mo and Grandpops at the Phillies

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on making it halfway! Enjoy your time alone with Moira before number two comes along! Glad you're having a pretty good pregnancy thus far.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Tons of good thoughts and prayers going out to him. Love the story about you staying up to see him at night.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think.