Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Trip to Nowhere

This past Saturday, we had planned to take the train up to NYC to see our good friends Steve &Lynsay. We were so excited! Really, what could go wrong?!?

We woke up Saturday morning in relatively good spirits. We put Mo in a cute little polka-dot outfit and her new vest, got the diaper bag good & packed and headed to the train station. We planned to stop at Dunkin Donuts on our way there, but we were running late, so we nixed that plan. This should have been the warning.
FYI- Jackie + No breakfast = Moody Bi-atch!
We get to the train station and while Bryan gets the tickets from the machine, Mo & I stroll into the little cafe' to pick up drinks & muffins. We figure we'll just eat them on the train. As I'm walking to the cafe' I notice that all the entrances to the tracks are closed. Hmmm, that seems weird. Anyway, back to the muffins & drinks, and then we meet Bry outside the store. For some strange reason, transit officers are making everyone walk to the same stairwell. Again, this should be a sign that things aren't going well, but alas, we continue. Mo sits in her stroller, staring at all the strange people and things. She's doing awesome! The train arrives, and Bry, and I awkwardly get the kid, the diaper bag, and the folded down stroller ready to board the train.
We forgot about boarding the train.
We forgot about walking through the aisles...
of a Saturday early afternoon train
filled to capacity
with a kid
a diaper bag
and Bryan carrying a stroller!
I suggest you imagine Mr. Incredible attempting to do this feat, because honestly, that's who Bry looked like navigating car after filled car with the stroller attempting NOT to injury any poor bystander.
We finally find a seat, a two seat not three. I look longingly at the man sitting alone in the two seater in the handicapped section, (There's more leg room there!) Luckily, he meets eyes with me and offers to switch seats!
Maybe this train thing isn't too bad of an idea...wait. Mr. Incredible, I mean Bry and I get cozy in the two seater. I'm smushed up against the window with kid in my arms and Bry literally tosses the stroller onto the overhead. I think, "I'm so freaking hot and I can't take my coat off because we're squeezed in here. Plus, I've got Mo on my lap. I'll just grin and bear it". Bry looks at me, sweat on his brow and says, "Jac, we really didn't think this through!". Cue Mo to start "talking". Really, to us it's cute, but to the rest of the train, I can imagine it sounds like a baby on the verge of crying. CRAP!
Again, Bry says, "We didn't think this through!" Is it getting hotter in here?, I think. She's on the verge of actually crying. I look at my watch, only 68 more minutes until we get to NYC-
PENN STATION... with Mr. Incredible....and a baby....and a stroller...and a diaper bag... WE DIDN'T THINK THIS THROUGH!
And then a cab with Mr. Incredible...and a baby...and a stroller...and a diaper bag...WE DIDN'T THINK THIS THROUGH!
We make it two stops, and then get off, check for the next train, get some Dunkin Donuts, call and apologize immensely to Steve & Lynsay and head back home. Mo crys on the train home for a few minutes before she passes out! Luckily, the train back home is far less crowded and so Mr. Incredible & I are able to get a 3 seater.
We decided when we actual go to visit Steve & Lynsay next time we'll just drive the car, so Mr. Incredible...the kid...the stroller...the diaper bag...and the mom can all be comfortable.
Steve, Lynsay, we're sorry we missed you! Hopefully we can make up to see the new place before the holidays! Love you both!

4 comments:

  1. funny story - sorry your plans had to change though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh....yes, traveling with a baby. Seems all well and good until you actually start the journey. been there, done that.
    Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, i am sorry your visit to steve and lynsay's didn't work out, but the way you wrote cracked me up. it wasn't mean to be this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, oh man! i never saw this...what a horrible experience. hopefully this weekend will go better! can't wait to see you all

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think.