Sunday, November 18, 2012

Learning Curve

I'm here.
Still big as a turkey on Thanksgiving, eagerly anticipating the birth of this next kiddo in under five weeks!

I've been a bit preoccupied, attempting to get my Christmas shopping done, purchasing those things I need for baby, and trying to catch up on my sleep now. Not easy in my current state of hugeness, nor as Mo and now Maeve too, fight me to nap.

With that, I must admit, I must offer thanks to PBS, Sprout, Nick JR, and Disney Junior. Those 26 minutes of uninterrupted sleep I can get while Mo hangs out in bed next to me are bliss.

It's Listicle time! I'm getting back on that train just in time for this week's list suggested by Kerstin over at Auer Life, We're instructed to come up with Ten Things we've learned thus far in 2012. Stasha, our maven de Listicles has become quite the runner girl and her list reflects just that! I will admit, running is something in my head I imagined to be the perfect exercise, but in actuality, every single time I have tried, I have despised it.

As I'm on the cusp of motherhood yet again, I feel that my list should reflect just that.

Ten Things I have Learned about Motherhood in 2012

1. Before I had children, I knew everything. 
Now that I'm a mom twice, nearly thrice over, I realize I hardly know anything. 

2. For a while, I thought I needed to take Moira to a child psychologist, and then in speaking to other parents of four year olds I realized displaying characteristics of multiple personality disorder is the norm. 

3. Potty training is hell, especially poop training. 

4. Anyone that says nap time is overrated, sucks plain and simple and is probably not sleep deprived. 

5. Hearing your child repeat verbatim, "Fuck" in appropriate context does bring an usual amount of pride mixed with horror. It also brings about the realization that she learned it from you and helps curb the cursing habit. 

6. Television is not the devil. 
Caillou just might be. 

7. Never underestimate the power of a bribe. 

8. Sisterhood is amazing!
It reminds me of my own childhood fondly, and makes me grateful that the girls have each other. 

9. It's okay to ask for help,
 to admit defeat, 
to hide in the kitchen or bathroom, 
to need to step away from the chaos, 
or to have days where bedtime cannot come soon enough. 
I will say it's a whole helluva lot easier to deal though when there's the option of drowning one's sorrow in wine, beer, or liquor. Ben & Jerry's doesn't quite offer the same amount of kick.  

10. Having a good partner makes this whole ride that much more enjoyable. 
On that note, thanks Bry for everything and always being able to make me laugh. 

What have you learned this year? 
Link up with Stasha and her Monday Listicles

19 comments:

  1. You had me at #9. Enough said for a lifetime of learning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. And I agree. Caillou is evil because his mom is never ever mad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a good friend who wisely said that once her daughter was born -- her mother became the wisest woman in the world. And they will eventually poop in the potty. You think it will never happen. But it does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #9 is so important! The f-bomb had me laughing! Congrats on your impending delivery. Hope you get some naps :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as I'm concerned, potty training is the worst parental duty by far. I can't stand it. Enduring Caillou is a close second. Not only is mom unrealistic, that child's whining is horrible!
    Good luck getting some sleep before the baby is born.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caillou is banned in this house. Only one whiner allowed...and I am already technically over the limit.
    And I agree, potty training is awful. we get a major F on that one here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy... Calliou.... I can't believe he's still around. I thought there'd be a parental revolt by now that would've put rendered him "CANCELLED". :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. #9 is key, for all of us - even for all of us non-parents =) Even though I wouldn't even want to trade potty training for my Monday at work! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, the more kids, the less you feel you know anything and yes, potty training is sh*tty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet list, Jackie. I knew everything before I had kids too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun! Just wait until you have #3...you learn even more fascinating things about motherhood and just how much you have slacked off! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could get behind everything on this list except for the Caillou comment. There is no maybe about it. He IS the devil. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  13. #3 - I'm so glad that's behind us! My son was especially hard, the only thing that made it bearable was that he would regularly crap into the neighbor's flower beds...
    #6 - don't forget Barney or the Teletubbies
    #9 - I discovered the Wildberry Poprock Martini this year, but Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey is still a close second!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes to all of these...especially number 9!!!

    I haven't learned a damn thing this year...seriously. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it is a toss up between Calliou and freaking Max and Ruby. Holy crap. I need a drink.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laughed out loud at the TV one! This is a GREAT list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amen to Sisterhood!!.. TV is also not a bad thing in our household.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Naps!! Yes yes yes! I may have one of the rare four year olds that still ASKS for a nap and I'm not in any hurry to change that. I love nap time! And Caillou is evil.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great list! I agree with pretty much everything. And I totally understand the fun (sort of) of being pregnant at this time of year. My third was due Christmas Eve - added a little extra stress to the holiday season! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think.