Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

Yesterday was Mother's Day, and when you have a relatively new baby, it's just like any other day. I could lament on the whole "whoa is me!" I didn't get to sleep in or spend the day at the spa. But really, it wasn't too big of a deal. What the hell do I really need from the tangible sense? I don't need any jewelry right now. The SAHM (stay at home mom) wardrobe really would look strange with a diamond tennis bracelet or strand of pearls. I don't really *do* tech stuff- so no ipad, itouch, or blackberry. The joke in my family is that I have the Zach Morris phone from Saved By the Bell, because I don't text and may be one of the few people in America who never have. Clothes are a touchy subject right now, as my mama pouch seems to be a little looser then before Maeve and while Spanx are a Godsend, there's no way I'm wearing them daily, plus again the SAHM wardrobe is pretty much t-shirts, jeans, & sweats, why would I need nice clothes.
I know my dear husband feels bad about yesterday. He has always loved to surprise me with little gifts, but this year we didn't have the funds or the time and guess what? It's fine!
The best memory I have from Mother's Day this year is our little walk to the local ice cream shop/coffee shop. I have to BRIBE Mo to get in the stroller most days, as she would prefer to draw on our front walk with chalk or blow bubbles. So, I have made the mistake of introducing her to the great frozen concoction known as water ice. The past few weeks the weather has been unseasonably warm, perfect for water ice! For a mere $1.75, I get my kid to chill in the stroller for upwards of an hour and then get to cool off with either Mango or Cherry deliciousness.
So back to yesterday, my favorite part was not ordering Chinese for dinner or taking an extra 10 minutes in the shower, but strapping both kids into the stroller and Bry ditching the yard work for twenty minutes to walk to the Ice Cream Shop.
Unfortunately it was closed, and Mo was pissed, but I did get to spend some time with my three favorite people.
I am so lucky.




By the way, to stop the crying and pouting, Bry made a little trip to the other ice cream shop once we got home for some mango ice for Mo and some chocolate ice for me!


Life is sweet and to all the other mamas out there, Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think.