Saturday, December 8, 2007

Chicken Pox and Head Lice and Runny Noses- Oh my!

Friday started out as any other day. I got dressed in my new long sleeve t from Gap which honestly feels like pajamas, made the commute up the turnpike and rolled into school. Everything was going normal. My kiddies were a little crazy, be it a Friday that's nothing new. I was sitting at my desk correcting some papers when our school nurse stepped in with a piece of paper in her hand. "Nothing really to worry about, but I just wanted you to read this" as she hands me a letter from a mother of a student I had had last year. "I wanted to write to inform you that I think I may have chicken pox. While we're not 100% sure, I thought it would be in the best interest of everyone if I let you know.....please let Mrs. S know since she's expecting." CHICKEN POX on an parent?!? I didn't even think about worrying about the possibility of that. Luckily my kiddies had Spanish so I was able to sneak to the office and call my OB. After calling the other office, I finally get in touch with the OB coordinator and try to explain my story. It went a little something like this:
"A parent of a former student may have chicken pox and I'm wondering if I should be worried". I say
"The student shouldn't be in school if they have chicken pox!" Says the nurse.
"It's not the student, it's their parent."I say.
"The parent should know better than to send in a student who has chicken pox!" says the nurse
Deep Inhale hear then slow exhale by me
"The student is fine, it's her mother that may have chicken pox!"
"OHHHH! Sorry. If you had the chicken pox and your tests early on would show your levels you should be fine. "
Sigh of relief from me
Nurse says "Let me go check your file to see what your levels were like early on".
Insert cheesy hold music here.......
Nurse comes back "Yeah, you never had that test. So we you come in next week, I'll give you the paperwork for it. But I think you'll be fine!".
Great, one more thing to worry about....but the day gets better.
I get back to my room and things go on in their usual crazy manner. The nurse comes in via intercom asking to see a certain student. Student heads down and within five minutes she comes back on asking for his things. Weird, right?
Ha ha, there's more. She then says that he has some houseguests on his head and could I send down some of my kiddies to get checked. The four letter word that brings fear into every heart of elementary school teachers has come into my class- LICE! Luckily all the kids, myself and my student teacher were clean, but it didn't stop us from itching the rest of the day. It ended up this child and his entire family had it and the nurse said she had never seen them such large ones before. Nice, I win the fattest lice game!
The day continues and my nose starts to run. Normally, this situation could be handled with any number of OTC drugs but not now, not with baby on board. So here I am, with box of tissues next to me sniffling away. I've heard vitamin C helps, I wonder if there is such a thing as too much orange juice?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think.