Wednesday, February 9, 2011

All Grown Up?

There are many different milestones throughout a child's life. The first smile, rolling over, steps, words - these are often captured with video or photographs and our excitement transferred through phone calls and conversations. It seems as our children get older those first moments seem to come at longer time intervals and for the most part, don't seem to get the same amount of excitement and hoopla as those baby ones. Sure, we take pictures of the first day of school each year and a first trip or date, but these moments become less exciting and momentous as our kids get older.
Mo is only 2 years and 10 months, but I feel like she is already getting so old. Between her conversation skills and opinions, she has developed into a real little person.
What I often have to remind myself is that while things I do everyday are mundane and routine for me, for Mo many of these experiences are new and exciting. It's these little firsts that happen all the time that are helping my little girl grow up and I'm along for the ride to witness them. Little things like drinking from a real cup can be added to the list. Mo was so proud of herself that she was able to drink apple juice like a "big girl". She had always had sippy cups or straw cups before this moment, and take notice of her face in the last picture. She unfortunately spilled a bit of the juice all over her shirt and face.






The other day, I happened to pick up Oreos from the grocery store. Mo enjoyed her cookie quite good. As I handed her the cookie, she said something to the effect of "I'm so excited!" and that is when I realized this was her first Oreo. The camera happened to be on the table so I clicked away.



There are still quite a number of big firsts left in Mo's life and reasons for me to celebrate. I can only anticipate the number of photos I will take in September when she starts preschool. Until then, I will, however, really try to take in all these little firsts and make them celebrations too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think.